Well, the theme of rest came up again this week at bible study. We've been going through the book of Hebrews, following along the weekly sermon topic on Hebrews. The first half of Chapter 4 talks about rest and the Sabbath, and although it's not easy to understand the passage (I think I'll have to do a word study on 'rest'), I had two thoughts which came to mind that simply had to be shared to the group and I thought I'd share it with you.
In verse 4, it says that "God rested on the seventh day from all His works." I came to realize that it is very important to withdraw from all kinds of work, in order to be quiet and listen, to allow God to speak to us and rest in Him. I'm not saying that we have to go to the extremes when it comes to withdrawing from work of ANY kind (ie. not allowed to cook or press the elevator button), but I do see the reason and value of why in today's society, we might need to go to those lengths since our world is full of busyness and the mentality of work, work, work. We're so used to all the distractions that it could really be beneficial to take a one day retreat once a week or once a month (ie. at a convent) to practice not speaking and practice communing with God in our hearts.
I thought it was important to also note that right after the verses on rest, the author of Hebrews goes on to say, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." I find it is no coincidence that God's word is the subsequent focus after the passage on rest. In our rest, we need to focus on His word to feed our mind, as that is the primary way God communicates with us; this is how we can 'hear' God. We can be assured that in our rest, God will move in us, because His word is "living and active...able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Rest does not mean a mindless emptying of our mind and soul.
Although we have not yet reached the end of the chapter in our study or in the sermons, I wanted to highlight that the chapter ends with encouragement and a challenge: "Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace (italics mine), that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."
The theme of listening to God and his guidance has come up in my devotionals, a week and half's worth of daily devotionals to be specific, and I think there is another week's worth. How amazing to see that God's timing is perfect in this way. The devotionals have gotten me thinking and turning things over in my mind, but it has been such deep processing that I have yet to be able to put it all down in words of any kind. This is good, the thinking and evaluating. Through all of this, I am seeing that when I ask and seek, He truly does speak.
In verse 4, it says that "God rested on the seventh day from all His works." I came to realize that it is very important to withdraw from all kinds of work, in order to be quiet and listen, to allow God to speak to us and rest in Him. I'm not saying that we have to go to the extremes when it comes to withdrawing from work of ANY kind (ie. not allowed to cook or press the elevator button), but I do see the reason and value of why in today's society, we might need to go to those lengths since our world is full of busyness and the mentality of work, work, work. We're so used to all the distractions that it could really be beneficial to take a one day retreat once a week or once a month (ie. at a convent) to practice not speaking and practice communing with God in our hearts.
I thought it was important to also note that right after the verses on rest, the author of Hebrews goes on to say, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." I find it is no coincidence that God's word is the subsequent focus after the passage on rest. In our rest, we need to focus on His word to feed our mind, as that is the primary way God communicates with us; this is how we can 'hear' God. We can be assured that in our rest, God will move in us, because His word is "living and active...able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Rest does not mean a mindless emptying of our mind and soul.
Although we have not yet reached the end of the chapter in our study or in the sermons, I wanted to highlight that the chapter ends with encouragement and a challenge: "Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace (italics mine), that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."
The theme of listening to God and his guidance has come up in my devotionals, a week and half's worth of daily devotionals to be specific, and I think there is another week's worth. How amazing to see that God's timing is perfect in this way. The devotionals have gotten me thinking and turning things over in my mind, but it has been such deep processing that I have yet to be able to put it all down in words of any kind. This is good, the thinking and evaluating. Through all of this, I am seeing that when I ask and seek, He truly does speak.
